|Orangette au Chocolat/ Candied Orange peels in Chocolate coat|
Hello everyone, wishing you a very Happy and prosperous 2013. Today, I would like to share with you a very simple yet easy to put together recipe for a good and sweet start.
All you need is: a few organic oranges, brown sugar or just white if you don't have in hand and the third ingredient is a good 70% dark chocolate. That's it!! Only 3 ingredients. No kneading, no baking and oh the best is no tons of dishes to wash :)
Oh yes, it's Orangette au chocolat /Candied Orange peel with chocolate. Think Valentine's day.. which is not too far away or just for any day indulgence. It is so easy to make and the result you get can be as good or better then store bought but the price difference is quite significance.
3 Organic oranges
300g Caster Sugar
100g 70% dark chocolate
- Wash your oranges, dry them then cut them into quarters.
- Pull the flesh away from the skin. (I left the flesh just so to have more bit, I cut my oranges length wise then into about 5-7mm slices)
- Par boil the skins in boiling water for 5 mins, drain and repeat for another time. I like the bitterness in the peels so I skiped this step all together. So it is very much up on you.
- Now in a saucepan dissolve your sugar in some water say 100ml. Add peels and simmer for 10 mins until the skins are translusent.
- Dish out and let dry on a wire rack over a tray for a day or two. Loosely cover it with foil and let it dry or you can dry them in the oven. I have never done this so can't give you a right temperature and duration. For those who does only the peels, this is when you cut the peels into little stripes of 5mm when they are a little chewy.
- When peels are dried, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering watering, making sure bowl does not touch water. Cool slightly, then dip half of each orange peel strip in chocolate and place them on a tray lined with baking paper until chocolate hardens.
- Keep them in an air tight container and place them in the fridge.
The candied orange peels/orange slices can be use in cakes and desserts or simply enjoy as it is. I did make some to be added in my Christmas cake.
Candied ginger, lemon, Kumquats are done in the same way..
I never buy any candies fruits for my Christmas cake as not only they are expensive but they are full of additives too.
Hope you enjoy this :)
Sharing with Petitehermine's Sunday Linky party